Ride it!... or Walk it! ... but never DNF!

Pro MTB'r for Bear Naked Cannondale (fastest and funnest bikes on planet earth!) squad and NM roadie for MountainTop Cycling out of Albuquerque, NM. I have a great family and my roots are in northern NM. Both my boys love riding...all day long! One's a climber and ones more of a downhiller. Loving the epic MTB rides and learning new routes around the state and locally in the querque. Work as a ... let's not talk about work!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Da Querque, Nueva Mexico

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Signal Peak and the BrokeBikeGilaBillies...what-the-f&%$??????

The race is always a treat as compared to some of the courses and this was an epic mud fest with all the hellamonsoon weather we've had this year.
I dialed in the bike with the mudders and put on some mudguards to key the ojo's clean. Race day started with a big Belgian waffle at the Econonlodge washed down with some surprisingly good cafecito with fakeleche. After a 3 duecer I was ready to rock the party!!
At the start line all the coolbro's were there, Q-Dog (showing RaceFace on his new Team Scalpel), Richie Rich (sucking down the last hit of powerjuice), KingKong Casey (looking rather svelte on29'rs), Fo Diggidy Dax (is there a dessert buffet post race?), Santiago (legged over the new World Cup Scalpel also) and all the contenders for the titles like Casey Cook, and wanting to beat us all Dave Wilson. The missing bro is a newly stylish BouldAir Hoppe who's no longer Neuvo Mexicano. He did managed to call my phone at 10:30pm the night before, and leave some rant message about epics and putting the smack down on JHK up there though. Sounds like the freak is off his leash?!
3.2.1 Go like a bat out of hell up the first climb, hoping Dave Wilson would take bait again and pop like the last times. Instead it was Team Sol off the FRONT!!
At the top of Signal Peak it was Dax, yo, and Q Dog, with peaked out Casey on his tale. The course had some uphill stream rides, it's harder than you imagine, and a bunch of big puddles. After the downhill I settled into my groove after I got by Dax (he's riding GRRRRRReat right now even though he may not know it). The RRRRRiver crossings were pretty burly and I went down face first in one of them, that mudscrub was getting old anyway. I slammed the right hand pretty good but no whining here.
On the last lap I gave it all I had and managed to finish strong. 14mins later FDDax came in and a couple mins later Qdog was washing up in the stream too. The "impressive ride of the day" came from the monstermasher himself KingKong Casey with a 4th place overall on the day...DaDAMN. I was like a proud papa with all the riders I coach coming in great spots. Richie Rich is dialing it in so everyone better not take an extra glimpse of "I'm bad" in the mirror or you'll pay for it.
The beef bbq was all beat up so we pretty much had to drink our recovery from the keg and Endurox baggie, at least that's what Richie said it was???!!!
The bike worked great, the feeds went great, I scored some kisses from the podium mamas, got some green back to fattent the wallet with, and managed to keep the undefeated MTB season alive... and we headed off to Lotaburger to make the fry cooks pause the smoking break. The coolest thing about hitting a fast food burger joint is that we just burned like 3 LottaCombo's worth of calories and if you only eat one you still drop weight while getting a mad grease ring around your lips as you try to remember to breathe in your feeding frenzy.
Sleeping on the way back to Querque made the turns of the Black Mountains feel like Kara rocking me to sleep, while the boys were both sacked out...and Myles was running the mean chain saw through his nose while he slept. I think he'll be a downhiller. Mason threw down like 800 mini laps so I wasn't surprised that he was tired.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Cool report Damian! Congrats on the win for you and your teamates.

I agree with the beer...but the Lottaburger?

2:16 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

yeah DAWG! GIT IT! These Boulder snobby types are real chodes. ;) ha Glad to see you're still tearing it up!!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I'm glad I didn't go but hated to miss it. Woke up Friday morning coughing or I would have been on the line Sunday trying to figure out if they would notice if I started early! ;-)

See ya Sunday. And Matt, yeah... The beer and the Lottaburger is how you do it properly.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damian...........dude, bro, like you are so cool and awesome. Wicked blog bro. Yeah baby. You get it. Congrats on the win, I bet it was really hard bro.

You know that if I did not have a broken leg I would have been there. So awesome. Crazy wicked pisser.

B

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home